With increasing concerns about our environment, our human impact and the health of our immediate home surroundings, going Green has become quite popular.
With technological advances everyday increasing our health by creating materials with less toxins in them there is no reason not to lower your bills and live a Greener life!
Here are a few tips of simple little things you can do to reduce your impact on the environment and some will actually save you money in the end!
1. Change your Lightbulbs: GE Energy Saving Smart Bulbs
(Last longer than conventional bulbs & use 70-75% less energy)
(you want CFL's--- Compact Fluorescent Lamps)
2. GET RID OF JUNK MAIL!!! This is a win/win! Get a membership for $36 a year and they will stop sending that wasteful paper! Reduces the postal junk by 70-90% PLUS they'll plant a tree for you every month! **It makes a Great Gift!** http://www.greendimes.com/
3. Go green with your cleaning supplies! My Grandmother thought harsh chemicals from cleaning supplies contributed to her Parkinson's. She did a lot of research on chemicals and their effect on our bodies. Let's face it, we know they aren't good for us. For your health and the ozone layer-Go Green. Target has Method-- http://www.methodhome.com/ which I love!! www.seventhgeneration.com is great and there are many more!
4. Unplug EVERYTHING when it isn't in use. Even though it's off, it uses energy! http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/83
5. Use RECHARGABLE batteries! We all use keyboards, remotes, computer mouse & other stuff that uses batteries. We all know don't throw your batteries in the trash, they are a hazardous waste--dispose of them properly and use rechargables! They are much better than in years past!!
6. Recycle your CANS! <---- We all know this-Just do it!www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/1703
7. Paper or Plastic? NEITHER! Both are wasteful! Get canvas bags you can reuse like the fine Trader Joe's or Whole Foods bags. Or if you are tight on cash and can only afford your groceries, take the paper and plastic bags back to the store! They are good for more than one trip!
8. Wash clothes in COLD water! Save the hot water for your family, not your clothes. Imagine the $$$ You'll save! I've been doing it for years, clothes still get clean! Here are more tips: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/3338
9. RAID!!! <--- dump it..think about it-it KILLS ANTS!!! Do you know how hard it is to kill and ANT? Think about our soft pink lungs and sensitive bodies. Eventhough they make scents like Clove to cover the insane amount of chemicals, harsh chemicals used to kill insects kill us too! (And of course the environment)
Make a SUGAR HOTEL! http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/3
10. Be aware of your air!! Sluggish? Congested in the morning? Check your air and be aware of what's in it! http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/3263
For more great ideas on eco gifts, cleaning our environment, minimizing your impact go to www.care2.com.